Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Thoughts on Kindergarten...

Wow. The day has come. A part of me feels like it's taken f o r e v e r for her to be able to start Kindergarten. She's one of the oldest in her class and, according to her teacher's assessment, the top of her class. On the other hand, I'm SO not ready to let her go!!
Part of that concern is for her - How will she do? Will she make friends? What if she gets made fun of? What will her peers teach her of "non-academic" things? Will her teacher find ways to challenge her? Will she miss me....?
The other part of that concern has to do with me. I'll admit it. I am selfish. I like to have my children here. I like to be able to go to the park whenever we want. I like to spend our days dancing to music, doing our chores, baking cookies, and going on adventures. I'm NOT looking forward to shuttling to Kindergarten. Especially since Ireland is in morning preschool & McKinley is in afternoon Kindergarten. I miss the simple, sweet mornings when McKinley was small. I'm putting together the slideshow for my grandpa's funeral & found some pics & videos from when McKinley was a baby. Oh... those wonderful mornings. Just me & her. Just time to enjoy each other & learn together.
So - you may be wondering why we didn't just home school this year like we did last year. Well, I guess after many discussions & prayer, we decided that McKinley deserved to try out regular school & see how she likes it & see how she does. And she really wanted to go to public school. She was so excited for school to start - she put together a chain & took one ring off every day.
So - that's where we're at. Don't let the picture fool you. I started crying the night before when she got her blessing. I peeked up to see my big girl sitting there, head bowed, eyes closed. So grown up. And after I dropped her off, I tried to be brave in front of my 2 little ones, but the truth is that I am a wreck! I know she's beyond ready for school, but am I?

What will I do now that I can't hug & kiss my girl anytime I please? Someone please tell me it's all going to be okay? :)



4 comments:

Patricia Potts said...

Yes, my beloved daughter, it will be OK. It was OK 5 times for me. Your pictures are priceless. You have worked so hard to prepare her physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
I am so proud of you.
Love,
mom/sis

Michelle {Fun On A Dime} said...

She's looks so excited! I'm slightly grateful for the long trek into school and back out in the heat so that I didn't have time to break down. But now T gets to be challenged in areas that I could never challenge him enough in. I'm sure McKinley is going to do awesome and every teacher would love a smarty like her in their class!

Lisa said...

So excited for her! She is going to love meeting new friends and learning fun songs. I was totally fine with Bayli going to Kindergarten, but all day First Grade, I am literally a basket case! Not to mention, her chores go undone all day long and I have to fight myself to not do them for her. I guess we all have to grow up with them...bummer.

cellosara said...

I don't want my babies to go to school either. I cried because they left. Makes me feel selfish. It bothers me when I hear mothers say "I can't wait for school to start". I want my babies home, not at that learning place. ;)