Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hope

Last night, I was really bogged down. I really should not even keep up with the news. You know that song from Paul Simon that goes "I get all the news I need on the weather report"... yeah... that should be me.

This story about Sierra Newbold just devastated me last night. Having a 6-year-old girl myself does not help matters. I just cannot imagine... cannot fathom... my heart gets so full of heartbreak for the family and anger toward that man. Their family is in the ward of a good family friend and in the city I grew up in. Just not fair. 


Then, of course, I read a few more news stories, almost as depressing... rape...murder...abuse... 
I went to bed feeling like the world was a terrible place. How can I raise my kids in it? How can I find any peace? Where is the hope when things like this happen & the innocent suffer so much? 


This morning I was still feeling down & I prayed for hope & help & I opened my scriptures in faith. Here are some verses that I read: 



 Psalm 4:There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? Lord, lift thou up the light of thy acountenance upon us.
 Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time thattheir acorn and their wine increased.
 I will both lay me down in apeace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Isn't that amazing? God knows the pain & suffering in this world. It hurts His heart more than my own. And Jesus understands it. Every particle of it. And still they offer their peace and their gladness if we will seek it. It was such a blessing to read this & made my heart so much lighter!
And I still think I'm going to try & stick to the weather report. 
:)

6 comments:

Lena Baron said...

Thank you for this Heidi!! I agree completely, on all accounts! Hope is what has come to my mind a lot lately too. Hope and Faith, they are the key to happiness here on earth. Love You!

Get Hooked said...

I went to bed with the same thoughts last night. That little girls story has really brought me down and made me worry. So glad they found the guy, but at the same time there was no connection between him and her, which leads me to feeling even more uneasy. Sad. Thanks for the message/reminder of hope and peace.

Colby~Megan~Hayden said...

I have been sick since I heard about it a couple weeks ago but a watched that news conference yesterday and heaRd everything that perv did to her and cried!! I have a friend that grew up just a block away and that canal runs right behind her house- its so scary to think about how it can happen to anyone- scares me!!!

Trish-the ad-match Queen said...

Thanks for this Heidi. It's really amazing how the Lord can answer our prayers and we KNOW he's listening! I think we've all been hearing about this and feeling SICK and worried about this world. The girl was in Darrin's old ward that his parents are still in so we've been hearing a lot about it. Thank you again for sharing sis. It helps! Love you!

Tiff Meister said...

Your inspiration is an answer to others despair and prayers Heidi. I too have been really disturbed by the story, especially when I consider how close it is to where we grew up. Thank you for sharing hope. Love you!

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I know what you mean about the news... I was up on vacation when I was seeing it about that poor little girl, but it really affected me too.. it's hard having daughters so close in age. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts on the scripture.