Saturday, October 5, 2013

Link Bears

 A month or so after Link died, a sweet woman (Carly) - the wife of the bishop in our previous ward - sent me a message saying she wanted to do something for us. She knew of someone who made bears out of clothing and she sent me a link.

As I scrolled through all the pictures of the bears, my heart was touched. What beautiful treasures. I decided the girls should each have one, too.
It took me quite a while to actually get up the courage to open his closet. I had been in his room a bunch of times. I had touched his blankets. I continue to see his toys around the house. But... his clothes. Those were the absolute hardest thing for me to face. His clothes were HIM. When I saw his clothes, I saw him. And, of course, when I finally opened his closet to choose an outfit, I had a meltdown. After many tears, I chose an outfit that I loved. And then I laid out some clothes and had each of the girls pick their favorite outfit, too. Jason came in the room and saw his clothes laid out on the bed and he, too, couldn't stop the tears.

The bears arrived while Kezia and I were in Minnesota. I couldn't wait to get back to see them! They are beautiful and so precious to me and my girls. I even had her put a seam where his surgery scar was and sew a spot where his birthmark was. It is so neat to have something to hold that reminds me so much of him. Of course, every second of every day, I wish it was him. The girls sleep with their bears every night. They seem durable enough to last a lifetime, which is good, because I want my girls to have them forever to remind them of their baby brother. Ireland couldn't wait to take hers to her show & tell day at school.

We just had family pictures taken. I'll probably do a separate post for those pics, but I wanted to share these bear pics. For more information, go to http://www.carriebears.com/








12 comments:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Oh the bears are precious... And so are those pictures!! I love your family so much!!

BriAnne said...

Beautiful, they turned out so darling!

Anonymous said...

So cute. I love it. I haven't been able to deal with Anneliese's clothes yet. Almost 1 year later and they are still on their hangers, haphazardly thrown in trash bags, collecting dust in my garage.

Unknown said...

Those are adorable! If you could can you send me the link as well. I lost my daughter almost nine months ago to menagitis. I try to find ways to remember her and find it quite difficult, I even sleep with a sleeper that she was given in the hospital. I am so sorry for your loss. I understand a portion of your pain and love reading blogs about people like me, ones who are also trying to recover from the loss of a child.

Lena Baron said...

WOW! That really is amazing! What a treasure! The photos are beautiful too! Hugs!

Lena Baron said...

WOW! That really is amazing! What a treasure! The photos are beautiful too! Hugs! BTW: Going through clothes (that were supposed to be worn) was the Hardest task next to throwing out frozen breastmilk that I had to do after the funerals. This is a comforting way to help get through it!

Tiff Meister said...

LOVE them Heidi! What a thoughtful idea and gift that you'll all cherish for a lifetime! Love you!

Patricia Potts said...

I am crying now too. This is so absolutely awesome! I can't wait to see them next week. I love you all so much and I'm so thankful that Link continues to Link to all our lives in such profound ways

Anonymous said...

LOVE THEM!!!! Makes me think maybe I should do that with Charlie's clothes. The photos are amazing Heidi!

Trish-the ad-match Queen said...

WOW! I think that's one of the most precious gifts ever. And seeing them next to his pictures made me just want to snuggle him so badly! I love you! LOVE the pictures and the bears!

Anna said...

What a treasure. Made me cry seeing him in the outfits and then the bears. A wonderful idea. Much love...you've been on my mind a lot :).

Molly said...

These are adorable... and perfect. So amazing to have something to snuggle that was, also, snuggled against your precious baby boy ( and brother). I love them. What stunning pictures and so sweet to honor Link in them!