Sunday, May 9, 2010

Why Motherhood?

Ahhh, motherhood.

Some people question having babies...

Why have a baby? GoodBYE spontaneity, goodbye freedom. So much responsibility. So much money they take, not to mention patience and TIME.

You may think that...

until...

You hold that perfect baby in your arms...you cry at the fact that you are a mommy to this sweet, precious spirit. Every little thing about this human being is fascinating to you. You watch and are amazed at how she grows and learns and masters things. Her questions keep you on your toes and you know she's always watching you & believing what you say. Your heart melts when she gives you a big hug & tells you she loves you.

Why have another baby? Especially so close to the first? Don't you know you're asking for crazy chaos? Just enjoy the first one & don't have another one so soon. They're SO much work!

You may think that...

until...

You see her for the first time. Right away you notice the similarities & differences from her sister. You see your first daughter hold the baby for the first time & KNOW that they have known each other before. She IS a lot of work, but SO worth it - her zeal, her spunk, her "happiness of pursuit" fills your life with energy. You watch as your girls play together, cry together, laugh together & pray that they will always be close.

Seriously, number 3? Can't you just let the 2 girls be & enjoy each other without adding to the drain on your time, energy, and sanity? 3 kids will for sure put you over the edge! Right now it's 2 parents on 2 kids & that is all you can do!

You may think that...

until...

You hear her first cry & her tiny body is next to yours. You look into her never-ending blue eyes & KNOW she is yours. You hear her laughs and see her smiles & can't think of anything anywhere that can be sweeter. In the darkness, you rock her and feed her and your heart swells with love. You cannot imagine how you lived without her.


It doesn't matter where you have been to in this great big wide world - or what you have seen - nothing beats the adventure of motherhood. My sister is expecting her first baby in the next month and I tell her she has no idea what she is getting herself into. And I mean that for the wonderful and difficult. I want to give her lots of advice & prepare her, but I realize that there is really not much that will prepare her for the indescribable journey she is about to embark on.

I am SO extremely thankful that I've been given the chance to be a mom. We are not very well-off, but I consider myself the richest person in this world when I think of the three treasures that call me mommy.
I also have to give credit to my mom on this Mothers Day. My appreciation, admiration of, and love for her grow every day as I think of all the sacrifices she has given me.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

3 comments:

Trish-the ad-match Queen said...

Heidi, that was beautiful. Made me cry. You have a way with words! As I lay here in bed (SO much fun!) I think of how excited I am to meet my little boy. I can't wait to embark upon these adventures. You're the greatest Heidi! Love you!

Lena Baron said...

Such a beautiful post!!! I hope you don't mind, I might pass it along to The Power of Moms site that I follow. I'll let you know. Looks like trisha and I might be in the same boat soon. I sure wish her luck!!! Tell her reading is a life saver when you're on bed rest!! Love you!

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

Happiest Mother's day (with a capital "M") to you. You write so beautifully!