Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patty's!



Just wanted to drop a line & say Happy St. Patrick's Day! It was pretty mellow for us for the most part, but we did have some fun eating Lucky Charms in the morning, and lots of other green food - broccoli, honeydew melon, green peppers, green beans, and lime sherbet (though not all at once :)

St. Patrick's was always a big deal for my family growing up. My grandma Potts (my dad's mom) came over from Ireland, but it was my mom that was all about the holiday. She would talk in an Irish accent, make green pancakes, and usually we'd have a big St. Patrick's Day party with all our friends after school where we would go on a green scavenger hunt, bob for green apples, and play more green games & eat more green food. We also were MERCILESS to anyone not wearing green - from the MINUTE you got up, if you didn't have green on, you would be pinched by everyone.

My mom had her St. Patrick's Day party for her grandkids yesterday & they had a lot of fun! Then today, McKinley went to her preschool St. Patty's day party & she was so excited. Apparently there was a good leprechaun there that left them candy, but then there was a naughty sneaky one that went around pinching people. She had a great time.
We also read the story about my Grandma Potts and her life in Ireland.
Speaking of Ireland, I apparently am slacking on the green-ness in her wardrobe. It was a stretch to find something green - and she's Ireland! I'm going to work on that.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!




2 comments:

Lena Baron said...

Ahhh, The Memories!!!! I was podering those parties today... Thanks for the memories Patricia!!!

Patricia Potts said...

Thanks for recording these memories Heidi (and coming so faithfully)
Love,
mom/sis