Friday, May 9, 2008

Hawaii








see http://www.photoshow.net/heidi_hamilton_1 and click on "Hawaii 2008" for a slideshow of our Hawaii pictures.

Jason & I got back from Hawaii on Monday (we were celebrating 8 wonderful years of marriage) & I am missing the warm weather & green, green vegetation. I do like Utah. There are many beautiful things to see here, but there's something about being by the ocean that reaches into your heart and finds a rhythm there. I envy people that can go running by the beach, surf there, and see the vast amount of marine life there. The great thing about the island we stayed on, Kauai, was that they had the best of both worlds - the ocean and beautiful mountains. Maybe one day when we're rich (very rich), we'll have a place there and we'll live in Utah for 1/2 the year & Kauai the other 1/2. One of my favorite memories was going to the beach at midnight and laying on the sand & looking up at the billions of stars shining overhead. With the sound of the sea in the background, it was truly magical. I got thinking about all of those stars and how some shone so brightly and others were barely discernable and seemed to blend into the night sky. I thought how so many of us are like those stars that try to blend into the background of life. I certainly am one of them. Instead, we should be letting our light shine big & bright so that everyone around us can see it and see the source of the power behind it. It's like Nelson Mandela's speech about how it's our light not our darkness that most scares us. Who am I to be talented, beautiful, etc. Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God & your playing small does not serve the world or your maker (Ok, so that was terrible paraphrasing, but you get the idea). At any rate, I thought I would share that and my determination to do better about letting my light shine & not being afraid that the world will see it!

No comments: