Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!


"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." ~Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi" Atlantic Monthly, 1874

I liked this quote because I realize more now than ever how much my father - and my mother - were right about so many things. When I was a kid, I thought my dad was so old-fashioned and completely STRICT. I read in a journal from when I was about 8 when my dad had a talk with me because he thought my attitude "sucked." I crossed out the word "sucked" and put "wasn't so good." I'm positive I am getting plenty of payback for my stubborn, defiant, rebellious childhood ways and I'm sure it will keep coming as my girls get older. I just want to thank them for a wonderful childhood. When you're a kid you have no clue how much patience, sacrifice, and frustrations your parents go through. You just kind of expect that adults are there soley for the purpose of helping you, getting you stuff, and being there for you. Now that I'm on the other side of parenthood, my appreciation is very deep for my good parents. Especially when I hear stories of other people's childhood troubles and dramas, I am ever more thankful for mine.


Now to my sweetheart, the father of my children. When I first learned we were pregnant, I was so excited. I knew you would be a good daddy and you have never disappointed me. You do not make me feel like I'm doing this alone and are so good at changing diapers, talking me through "what should we do about this?" situations with the girls, cuddling on the couch with the girls, waking up with them when I'm exhausted or am training, coloring, tea parties, horsie rides, bath time, kissing owies, saying I LOVE YOU, and many, many other countless daddy duties. I love you enormously and your girls adore you. Tonight while you were talking to your dad and I was putting McKinley to bed, she looked at me and said "Where's daddy? I want him to be here." She asks about you multiple times whenever you're gone. "Is daddy at work?" "Is daddy at school?" We all love you, daddy, and think you're #1.

Today for Father's Day, we let daddy sleep in and mommy made french toast while McKinley colored daddy's pencil holder. We woke him up with breakfast in bed and his pencil holder and tie card. We were late for church, but it was good and fun to see all the primary and nursery crafts that the kids made. After church we took naps and woke up right when we were supposed to be at Grandma Tew's for a father's day BBQ. We were an hour late, but we still had plenty of great food and fun. All the kids (Talon, Ireland, Stellar, Tucker, McKinley, Michael, Tiarra, Kalli, Ripley, Ivory, and Cannon) had a blast running through the sprinkler, throwing water balloons, and going on the slippery slide. It finally felt like summer! Thanks for hosting a great get-together grandma. We love you!

No comments: