Friday, August 20, 2010

Oh... who are the people in your neighborhood?

Well, we've been here for about 3 months now - and it's looking like we'll be here for a while longer. Jason switched jobs - he's working at Zions now (he's been trying to get into Zions for a year and a half so we are SO excited!)- and while he is loving it, it looks like we'll still be in transition mode for a bit longer.
We have enjoyed our time here, though, and have met some wonderful people!
As I've settled in & started making routines, I have noticed some interesting people, places & things.
Like....

The check-out guy at Smiths. I don't know why I always end up getting in his lane to check out, but he cracks me up. I call him the "gamer check out guy." The first time I got him, it was kind of annoying. He didn't even acknowledge my existen
ce. He was busy blabbering on to the bagger about this new video game. And, I mean, this kid WENT ON. He was enthusiastically (with hand motions) talking about the super-powers of one hero and the mind meld option you could utilize if you so chose. So
yeah... he really didn't even speak one word to me. The 2nd time, I wanted to laugh out loud. I didn't even realize I had gotten the same kid until I got to the checkout stand & realized he was talking video games again. Only this time, the bagger was a girl. And she could care less. His monologue went something like this "... and he could throw fire and incorporate the powers of the unseen... Oh, but I don't want to ruin it for you if I tell you more..." 5 seconds goes by "... but I think I will because I'm just like that! Ok - so he blasts his superpowers at the evil one and holds this orb that sucks out the memory of anyone that touches it" (hand actions included). At any rate, I looked at this poor girl & gave her a sympathetic smile on the way out.

The people on Jordan River Parkway. My parents live pretty close to the parkway & I've done a lot of my training there. I go enough at the same time that I see many of the same people. And, believe me, there is quite a variety of people out there on Jordan Parkway. Like... the older lady with the boat shoes who is hunched over in concentration, the guy on the bike with a tiny dog he keeps in the front basket, the middle-aged balding man who - no matter how many times I smile and wave - will not acknowledge my existence, the two loud African women in authentic garb, the hippie guy riding a bike and wearing bell-bottoms that are greased at the bottom from rubbing against the chain, the guy who is bald on top but decided to grow the rest of his hair long, the quiet Indian couple, and the Hispanic guy wearing neon that I couldn't catch up to for the life of me.
Running past them (or having them run past me) every day makes me wonder a bit. I wish I could find out each one of their stories. I bet some of them really have tales to tell.

The swimming pool. There are quite a few interesting people that go to the pool, too - but my favorite thing is this sign:
"You wouldn't drink the water you bathe in, so don't drink the water you swim in."
It makes me laugh because #1: The only kids who have the habit of drinking swimming water probably WOULD drink the water they bathe in, too.
#2: Also - the ages of kids who mostly do this are probably not old enough to read the sign anyway.

5 comments:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Dang, is the new job in Salt lake? I was really hoping WE'd be your neigbors soon. :)

Patricia Potts said...

Well, since we share the same "people in the neighborhood" I smile big as I read your blog but since we don't go to smiths or the Jordan walkway at the same time I see other people...I'll have to observe and share! Great blog miss "almost 20,000 blog hits!"

Patricia Potts said...

Well, since we share the same "people in the neighborhood" I smile big as I read your blog but since we don't go to smiths or the Jordan walkway at the same time I see other people...I'll have to observe and share! Great blog miss "almost 20,000 blog hits!"

Get Hooked said...

This post made me smile! I often wonder what other peoples story is too. David told me that he ran into Jason the other day at some training something or other. I'm glad you got on with Zion's. I had told David that Jason was working for Wells and he just hoped and wished him luck. It wasn't a great fit for David. Good Luck on this adventure. There are still plenty of homes back in the old ward. We'd love to have you back!

Melissa said...

congrats on his job! Yes, it would be fun to know peoples stories. Though, I think it would be heart breaking too and we would realize how truly blessed we are! (course hopefully we already realize it) where is that pool? looks awesome