Sunday, August 29, 2010

Race Weekends

First of all THANK YOU to those who responded to my last post. I intend to address some questions/issues that were brought up in my next post, but I need to get on here & document our past couple weekends.

2 weekends ago (the 21st), we headed down to Richfield so I could do the Red Hills Triathlon with my sis-in-law Kim. I hadn't really done any training since my last tri, but it ended up being just a really fun triathlon. There were only like 70 people in it, so that was probably my favorite part - small! It was my first pool triathlon - and they did it in reverse order - run, bike, swim, so I was a bit out of my element, but like I said, it was great to just be out there with my sis-in-law and enjoy a beautiful morning. It was Kim's first triathlon. She had only gotten a few weeks of training in & at the last minute had some bike problems, so she had to use her hubby's big mtn bike, but I think she did AWESOME and I can't wait to do it with her (AND my hubby AND the St. George Hamiltons - ya that's right - I'm calling you guys out! :) next year!

Yesterday, my dad & I ran the Hwy 89 Half-marathon in Logan.
What? You haven't heard of that race? Oh... maybe that's because it's brand new this year. It's only for those elite people who had already paid for non-refundable hotel rooms only to find out that the TOU Half was full.
Incidentally, I ended up winning the WHOLE race! 1st place! And my dad got 2nd. And we each won our age divisions - and we got medals!
Ok, so... yeah. My dad & I got our hotel rooms before we signed up for the Top of Utah Half Marathon - and then we found out it was full! It was a bummer, but we had a choice. We could either bag the whole deal & lose out on the $ for the hotel room, or we could go & not run, or we could go & run our own course. So - we ended up choosing "C". It was actually pretty nice - we didn't have to wake up as early (thank GOODNESS because the night before in the hotel room was nothing short of a nightmare) and we didn't have to take shuttles or fight crowds. Hwy 89 is every bit as scenic as the Hardware Ranch Rd and much more peaceful (minus the large trucks). At any rate, my dad was a speed demon with his Garmin watch and paced us really fast. Yes, people, I have a hard time keeping up with my old man. He was cruisin' - pushin' 7:30-7:50 min/miles! It was all I could do to keep up. At mile 10, he was complaining about his knee, so he told me to go on. I ended up finishing in 1:43, which I was really happy about - being 3 minutes faster than 2 years ago when I did it. My dad came in a few minutes after me & unbeknown to me, my dad had arranged for engraved medals for us - and running shirts, too! Thanks, dad, for the run, the medal, the shirt & the example!! And thanks always to my ever-supportive hubby, mom & girls. It was fun! Afterwards, we swam in the hotel pool & headed for some Aggie ice cream.

Fun couple weekends!


Patricia Potts said...

Once again I was thankful to be part of this event. It was so much fun to order the shirts and pick up the metals and get the giant toberonie bar for the winner (you)!! I think this will always be among our favorite runs! Love you, mom

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

You are amazing and my inspiaration! Way to go!! One of these days maybe Ryan will do the same race as you again. :)

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

Um pretty dang freakin awesome! Have I ever told you that? Well you are!

Get Hooked said...

First off Congrats on the tri and winning a whole half marathon. AWESOME!!! And how cute is your mom and dad for making lemonaid out of lemons. Bummer you didn't get in to TOU, but what a great memory. CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!!! Miss you lady.